Sunday, September 14, 2008

Good words for today.


Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
By Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker of The Lutheran Hour®

Click here to listen to an audio version of today's devotion.

"He Is There"

September 14, 2008

...I am with you always, to the end of the age. Matthew 28:20b

He that goes a borrowing goes a sorrowing. There never was a good war or a bad peace. Never leave that till to-morrow which you can do to-day. Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

All of those are expressions made famous by Ben Franklin. Thankfully, the ability to express truth in a simple way did not die with the patriot-printer.

Recently, I heard such a statement. It reads this way: "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."

Now, I don't want you to think I ride in a limousine. I don't.

But I still understand what the expression is trying to say. Fair-weather friends surround all of us. When we have money, or are going to a party, or doing something exciting, they're there.
But if we need help, or are sick, they disappear.

Jesus, our Savior, is not that way. No matter what situation or circumstance we find ourselves, He is there. He Who gave His life on the cross so we might be given heaven, has shown us what it means to remain faithful.

When He said, "I am with you always, to the end of the age", He meant it. In good times and bad, happy times and sad, He will be there.

His is an example for us. Like the Lord, Christians need to be friends to those who have no friends; we need to help those who are helpless.

In the limo, on the bus, or walking with shoes that have holes, we have been given the opportunity to reflect the Savior's love and be friends to someone.


From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"



THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, thank You for being an "any-weather" friend! I am comforted by the knowledge that You are there for me in any situation. Help me to be more like You in my friendships, so that others may know Your love. In Your Name. Amen.

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour
Lutheran Hour Ministries


No comments: